Fried yellow squash and onion southern style is a vegetable dish that I enjoy eating. Its delicious flavors of the squash and onions make this a great tasting dish. Growing up as a child I had a love hate relationship with yellow squash. One time I liked, then I didn’t like it.
Well the battle was won and now I’m a yellow squash eater!
But it wasn’t until recently while visiting with a friend in Gainesville, Florida, you know, in Gator Country! well she turned me on to adding onions to my yellow squash. She told me that her mother cooked it that way.
Well you know, growing up in the south myself, I had no idea, because we didn’t cook it that way in our house. We steamed/boiled it. So I was in for a great eye opening treat and I must say, I don’t think I will have it any other way from now own.
When I returned home from this visit, I had to give this recipe a try. So I’m sharing it with you.
- 2 Pounds Yellow Squash
- 1/2 Large Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lawry Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Mrs Dash Original Blend Seasoning
- Wash yellow squash.
- Cut yellow squash and onion into round pieces.
- Place oil in skillet, let warm.
- Place squash and onion in skillet.
- Add salt, pepper and seasoning blend.
- Allow squash and onion to cook slowly on medium heat.
- Let cook for 10-15 mins., monitor closely.
- Allow squash and onion to soften and brown slightly.
- Serve about 4-5.