A great tasting vegetable we should all eat! Oh, the RUTABAGA.
You might asked what the heck is that? Its caught between a cabbage and a turnip. As a matter of fact, some people get turnip and rutabaga mixed up, but this orange-yellow flesh can be prepared in many ways. It can be steamed, boiled, roasted, fried or even mashed.
The greatest thing about this vegetable, is that it is rich in vitamins C, potassium, dietary fibers and antioxidant compounds.
It even has a slightly bitter taste as a turnip, but a little milder. Its a vegetable all on its own.
I don’t know how many people eat them, but apparently a lot, because they disappear from the vegetable bins in the produce food section. In my opinion, its not a very popular vegetable, but its a good one.
This great tasting vegetable(the rutabaga) that we should all eat is so universal in terms of its consumption. I believe with all the varieties, you can find one that will be pleasing to you.
Try them boiled in cubes/chunks, mashed, try as a soup, hey, or you can even make rutabaga fries out of this great veggie. I must say, I haven’t tried the fries yet, but as chunks and mashed, I’ve consumed many times.
Go ahead and ENJOY this great vegetable. Your body will be glad you did.
- 1 Whole rutabaga
- 4 cups of water
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Add 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Add 1 teaspoon salt
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar or hone(to decrease bitterness)
- Sprinkle with cup parsley
- Peel rutabaga with a peeler.
- Cut rutabaga into chunks or cubes.
- Wash rutabaga.
- Place rutabaga into pot of water for cooking(make sure water covers rutabaga completely).
- Let rutabaga boil on medium until soften, usually for about 90 minutes.
- Serves 5.
Additional: You can cook in smoke meat to give it additional flavor, if desired. Serve in cubes/chunks, or mashed.